San Angelo is a city in the West Hill Country of Texas, on the Concho River. It is the home of Goodfellow Air Force Base, Angelo State University, and the Producer’s Livestock Auction, the country's largest sheep and lamb market.
San Angelo is the county seat of Tom Green County, and the largest city in this mostly sparsely-populated part of west Texas. The military and college communities, along with business opportunities and Mexican immigration, have contributed to the city's growth and change over the years. The city was founded in the late 1800s outside a new Army post, Fort Concho. The founder, Bartholomew DeWitt, named it "Santa Angela" after his wife, Carolina Angela. This was eventually shortened to "San Angela." The final change came in 1883 when the US Postal Service informed the town that the name was grammatically incorrect (san can only be used before a male name). Rather than revert to the original name, they simply changed it to "San Angelo." The city has benefited economically from agriculture, the oil and gas industry, and after World War II, the US Air Force presence in the form of Goodfellow Air Force Base. Today, San Angelo's economy is largely supported by its two hospitals, telecommunications, agriculture, the university, and the region's largest employer, the Air Force.