Portimão (Portuguese pronunciation: [puɾtiˈmɐ̃w] (listen)) is a town (cidade) and a municipality in the district of Faro, in the Algarve region of southern Portugal. The population in 2011 was 55,614, in an area of 182. 06 km².
It was formerly known as Vila Nova de Portimão (IPA: [ˈvilɐ ˈnɔvɐ ðɨ puɾtiˈmɐ̃w]). In 1924, it was incorporated as a cidade and became known merely as Portimão. Historically a fishing and shipbuilding centre, it has nonetheless developed into a strong tourist centre oriented along its beaches and southern coast. The two most populous towns in the Algarve are Portimão and Faro. The mouth of the Arade River proved an important natural shelter that soon became a small commercial port for the Phoenicians, Greeks and Carthaginians.