Oslo City is one of the largest shopping centres in central Oslo, Norway. The shopping centre was built in 1988, and is visited by c. 50,000 people a day – 16 million a year.
The history of the city can be traced back over 1,000 years. Oslo was founded in 1048, by the king Harald Hardråde. The city became capital of Norway around 1300, but lost its privileges during the Danish-Norwegian union from 1348 to 1814. In 1624, a fire devastated old Oslo, and the city was moved some kilometres west to gain protection from the fortress at Akershus. The city was renamed Christiania, after the Danish King Christian IV, a name that remained until it was officially renamed on January 1st 1925 to Oslo. Traces have been found close to Ekeberg indicating settlement as far back as 10,000 BC. After the devastating 1624 fire, Old Oslo (around the mouth of the Aker river) was largely abandoned and the ruins converted to farmland. Today, a few church ruins are still visible under the Ekeberg hill (across the water from the new Opera House, located between the E18 road and the railway). Beyond these ruins, virtually nothing of medieval Oslo remains. Ironically, the new city Christiania was established outside the borders of Oslo, and 'Oslo' remained the name of the small, surviving settlement outside the new city borders. During Christiania's rapid expansion in the 19th century, as the capital of a new state, the site of the original Oslo (Old Oslo, or 'Gamlebyen') was included in the city. Due to the rapid inclusion of surrounding agricultural areas in the 19th century, a large number of remnants from the city's farming history are still clearly visible in place names and farm houses. Remnants of historical pastures, such as St. Hanshaugen, are now used as a recreational parks for Oslo's residents.