Obninsk (Russian: О́бнинск) is a city in Kaluga Oblast, Russia, located on the bank of the Protva River 100 kilometers (62 mi) southwest of Moscow and 80 kilometers (50 mi) northeast of Kaluga. == History == The history of Obninsk began in 1945 when the First Research Institute Laboratory "V", which later became known as IPPE was founded.
On June 27, 1954, Obninsk started operations of the world's first nuclear power plant to generate electricity for a power grid. The city was built next to the plant in order to support it. Scientists, engineers, construction workers, teachers and other professionals moved to Obninsk from all over the Soviet Union. Town status was granted to Obninsk on June 24, 1956. The name of the city is taken from Obninskoye, the train station in Moscow-Bryansk railroad, built in Tsarist times. Obninskoye and Obninsk were the frontline edges of the White/Red Armies in 1917-1924, also the 1812 War with France and the 1941-1942 Battle of Moscow Campaigns in World War II. Within the framework of administrative divisions, it is incorporated as the City of Obninsk — an administrative unit with the status equal to that of the districts. As a municipal division, the City of Obninsk is incorporated as Obninsk Urban Okrug.